Journey to New Heights

Journey to New Heights
We need a heart for the lost

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Contract or No Contract

This has been a rough week for me. I had the flu and now have a bad UTI. I haven't really felt like doing anything but life goes on. A few years ago I was offered a contract by a publishing house but instead of them buying my book and paying me, I would have to cough up nearly four thousand dollars in marketing fees. Since I live on my Social Security that wasn't an option.

Since then I have read some of the books they have published and realized they are basically a self publishing service. They books I have seen are poorly edited and even though the stories might be good the errors make it hard to become immersed in the story.

I have reworked my stories many times but I find more errors each time I read it. Maybe I will never be satisfied, I don't know but I do know that the stories are getting better each time I work on them. I have no formal training and I don't have a critique group so I'm not sure how I am doing. I have sent them to contest only to have one tell me liked this part and the next on to tell he hated that. Some I don't think even read the story because they were judging things that weren't even in the story

My dilemma today is that this publishing house sent me a contract again. This time it is a special offer and I don't have to pay them anything. They will publish the book and market it. All I need to do is; pick out a cover, send the layout, and the book in a PDF and they will publish as is.

I would love to tell the world I am a published author but somehow I feel this is like cheating somehow. I know that God could still bless me this way but I don't think this is the way. Remember the verse that says there is a way that seems right unto men? Is this one of those times? I have asked God but I haven't received an answer as of yet... Then what if I sign the contract and they want money later on or expect me to travel, at my own expense, all over the place for interviews and book signings? I wouldn't be able to afford that.  So you see my dilemma, What would you do?

I feel better for having vented so God bless you and have a great week. Thank you for being a part of my journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment