Journey to New Heights

Journey to New Heights
We need a heart for the lost

Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day

Today is the day we honor those who have served in the Arm Forces. My family has been a military centered family. My father enlisted in the Army Air Corp and went to the war. He later was put into the Air Force as it was formed. He went as high as he could go in the Air Force and wrote some of the manuals they use today. He served in World War II, Vietnam, and Korea. He retired with honors in 1968.

My mother's first cousins(more like her brothers since her only brother had died at 15) served in World War II.
Their children have served in all of the wars since. Some are serving today.

My brother's; Glenn went into the Navy and served his twenty years. He retired as a Lt. Commander. His son also joined the service. I am very proud of them, my other brother Jim went into the National Guards and then after college he was in the Army for awhile, then he joined the Navy as a medic in Desert Storm. He is retired too.

My husband was in the Air Force Police Force when I met him. He served in Vietnam. He came home suffering from PTSD. My son joined the Air Force Special Forces. I don't know for sure how many tours he actually made in the Mideast. I do know he had several tours in Afghanistan, Iraq, and Iran. He was recently medically discharged because of a cancerous tumor in his eye. He had received many honors and medals. I am extremely proud of him.

My grandson joined the Marines and has served two tours in Afghanistan. We have been extremely blessed. None of our men lost there lives. I feel for those who have. I do know the agony of staying home and praying for those loved ones. We have lost many friends to the war. Freedom isn't free. I pray God blesses the families left alone on this day and in the days to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment