Journey to New Heights

Journey to New Heights
We need a heart for the lost

Monday, March 25, 2013

Tortured Memory by Lawrence W. Gold

I was asked recently to review a book. I received the book and have just finished it. What I am about to say are my own thoughts and perceptions. The book is Tortured Memory, a Brian Hospital Series, by Lawrence W. Gold. This book really touched me. My youngest daughter suffered from bipolar and a social disorder and she went through much torture at the hands of doctors and eventually died by a drug that shouldn't have been given to her. This is not a Christian book. Usually I only read Christian fiction but I did find the book intriguing. For those of you who follow my blog you need to realize the situations and language is graphic in places.

Dr. Abigail Adler, a general psychiatrist, she had been abused by her father as a child and now centered her practice on girls who have been abused sexually. Two of her girls are murdered by the Chabot Park Strangler. Abby is concerned that one of her patients might by the killer.

Abby is found in her car in a catatonic state. She is taken to the Brier Hospital and then sent to Langley Porter Mental Hospital where she under goes all kinds of treatments. After several weeks, she awakens but is unable to remember any of the last few months. She struggles with nightmares and flashes of memory trying to force her memory to return.

Richard Haus is Abby's analyst. Abby has been with him for years but their road is a rocky one. David Adler, Abby's  husband doesn't trust Richard. Ever since Abby took Richard's son on as a patient their relationship has been strained. After each session with Richard, Abby seems worse instead of better. David tries to stop their sessions only to be told that is normal.

This is a complicated book but it is very well written. I'm not sure if it's appropriate to say I enjoyed the story when it's not really a story you want to enjoy. It is very horrifying in the fact that it happens every day in this world we live in. How tragic this world has become. Lawrence did a good job with the subject matter. I haven't read any of his other work but will look forward to reading more. You can find more information about this book and the others he has written at www.lawrencegoldmd.com. God bless you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment