Journey to New Heights

Journey to New Heights
We need a heart for the lost

Monday, March 26, 2012

Contests

There was a question on The Christian Writers View 2 this last week asking about the worth of contests. I am not a published author and I haven't had the chance to take college classes, I just love to write. I don't have a critique group and unfortunately don't even know any other authors in this area. I let people read my work and they love it but they love me so I don't know if they the love the books or just tell me what I want to hear. Do any of you have that problem?

I entered the GOTCHA Contest this last fall and received the results in January or February. My manuscripts didn't do as well as I hoped but the comments on my first fifteen pages are well worth the twenty-five dollars I paid to enter the contest. I learned so much. I rewrote one of the manuscripts and sent it in to the Genesis Contest and the Frasier Contest. I hope that my revisions do well and I am looking forward to hearing back from them.

I would give anything for a chance to take some college classes but I live on a fixed income so that is not an option for me. I still struggle with 'show not tell' and my 'POV'. I do what I know to do and I read blogs and articles daily. I am learning as fast I can but I think the contests are the way to go. If you find yourself in the same situation, I recommend the contests and will continue to enter each chance I get, meanwhile I am rewriting my second manuscript with the hope to enter it soon. The journey goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment